101 Science-Backed, Evidence-Based Uses for Coconut Oil That Will Change Your Life
s you probably already noticed, coconut oil is all around us! Everyone speaks about it, all women started using it, and all magazines publish articles about it.
Well, there is a reason for it. In fact, there are over 101 reasons for it.
Coconut oil has been used for centuries, and it is high in antioxidants, nutrients, and fat-soluble vitamins. Moreover, this oil is soothing and hydrating for the skin and has beneficial effects on the hair.
Yet, the thing is that its uses are countless, as follows:
Body and Skincare
For topical use, choose a cosmetic grade coconut oil. For the DIY cosmetic treatments, fractionated coconut oil, which has been deprived of its long-chain triglycerides, as it has better stability, longer shelf life, powerful antioxidant effects, and anti-aging and skin-soothing properties.
Here is how to use coconut oil for the skin, hair, and body:
- Reduce Wrinkles: Apply some coconut oil to the wrinkles and lines to soften the ski and diminish their appearance.
- Detangle Hair: Dampen the hair a bit, apply some coconut oil, and leave it for a few minutes. Then, gently comb through the tangles.
- Improve Hair Growth: It reduces the breakage of hairs and strengthens the hair.
- Puffy Eyes: Apply some coconut oil around the eyes at bedtime to reduce the puffiness.
- Moisturize The Skin: You can freely use it anywhere on the body, and you can mix it with essential oils for aromatherapy effects.
- Conditioner: Coconut oil will repair split ends, hydrate the scalp, and provide a healthy glow of the hair. In a small container, place 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, and put the container in a larger bowl with warm water to soften the oil. Then, apply it on damp hair, and massage to the roots. Wrap the head in a towel and leave it to act for an hour. Rinse.
- Fight Dandruff: Leave the melted coconut oil on the hair overnight to hydrate the scalp, and wash it off in the morning.
- Shaving Cream: If you are prone to dry skin and razor burn, coconut oil is perfect for you. It hydrates the skin and keeps the hairs stand up straight.
- Aftershave: Coconut oil is an effective and soothing aftershave as well.
- Protect Hair from Sun: Put some coconut oil in the hands, and run the fingers through the hair and scalp. Tan, brush the hair evenly for sun protection and frizz control.
- Lip Balm: Apply solid coconut oil on the lips to moisturize them, heal the cracked lips, and protect against sun damage.
- Exfoliating Body Scrub: Coconut oil is an excellent base for face and body scrubs. Just melt half a cup of it, add 2-4 tablespoons of white or brown sugar, stir, and pour into muffin tins or soap mold. Leave them in the fridge to cool, and then, slice off a piece and exfoliate the damp skin.
- Exfoliate The Face. Mix coconut oil with baking soda in equal amounts to scrub the face, brighten the complexion, and remove dirt.
- Face Mask: The following homemade facial mask can quickly clear the complexion: mix a tablespoon of this oil and a tablespoon of raw honey, apply it to the fact, and leave it for 20 minutes. Then, wash it off with warm water.
- Exfoliate The Feet: Mix it with coarse sea salt in 1:2 ratio and scrub the soles of the feet.
- Soften Elbows: Rub a bit of coconut oil on the dry or cracked elbows to soften the skin.
- Heal Cracked Heels: Apply coconut oil on the cracked and dry heels to soften them.
- Nail and Cuticle Treatment: Rub some coconut oil into the cuticles at bedtime every night to soften them and stimulate nail growth.
- Mascara Brush Cleaner: Soak the brush in coconut oil for 5 minutes to eliminate the buildup.
- Enhance Eyelashes: Swab some coconut oil on the eyelashes to make them full of volume and life.
- Cheekbone Highlighter: Add some coconut oil to the cheekbones after you have applied makeup to highlighting them.
- Exfoliate The Lips: Mix a teaspoon of it with 2 teaspoons of sugar to soften the lips.
- Massage Oil: This oil is perfect for massage, and its antioxidants are excellent for the skin and muscles.
- Remove Skin Wax: Apply coconut oil on the hair and wipe it along with the leftover wax using a warm washcloth.
- Makeup Remover: It is a safe and non-irritating way to remove your makeup. Simply apply it with the fingertips and massage it in a circular motion. Then, wash it off with water.
- Bath Oil: Add a bit of coconut oil to your warm bath to naturally coat and refresh the skin. To prepare coconut oil bath melts, heat a cup of coconut oil, add 15 drops of essential oils, and pour the mixture into molds. When cool, drop a melt in the bath to dissolve.
- Personal Lubricant: Coconut oil is an amazing and safe lubricant, but do not use it with condoms.
- Lotion Bar: Make a homemade coconut oil lotion bar to moisturize your skin. Add a cup of this oil, a cup of shea butter, and a cup of beeswax in a quart size glass mason jar with a lid. Then, place the jar into a small saucepan of water, and boil it to melt them. Next, remove the bowl from heat, and add a teaspoon of vitamin E oil. Stir, pour into molds and leave them to cool.
- Reduce Cellulite: Apply coconut oil to the problematic areas regularly to cellulite.
- Tattoo Moisturizer: To soothe the itchiness of the new tattoo, apply some coconut oil to it.
- Deodorant: Mix half a cup of coconut oil, beeswax, and shea butter in a glass mason jar. Put the jar into a saucepan with water, and boil to melt them. Add a teaspoon of Vitamin E oil, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, and ½ cup of arrowroot powder as soon as you remove the mixture, stir, and pour into molds. Then, allow them to cool.
- Diminish Varicose Veins: To reduce their appearance, apply a thin layer on varicose veins.
- Reduce Stretch Marks: Rub some coconut oil on the stretch marks to reduce their appearance.
Food, Drink and Cooking
Coconut oil is not only edible, but it is a delicious addition to recipes. It can be of two types, refined and unrefined. The first one has no taste or odor, and it can withstand higher temperatures. Yet, the refining process involves the use of chemicals to bleach, deodorize, and partially hydrogenate the oil, which leads to the formation of trans-fats. On the other hand, the unrefined or virgin coconut oil is taken from fresh coconut, retains the odor and taste, and has not gone through the refining process.
Here is how to use it in the kitchen:
- Butter Replacement: You can use it to replace butter and eat it on your morning bagel or toast.
- Smoothies: Add coconut oil to your smoothies to improve their consistency and enjoy its benefits. For instance, you can blend 2 cups of coconut milk, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 2 tablespoons Gelatin Powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and ½ cup of strawberries.
- Cooking Oil: It can withstand higher temperatures and has an excellent great taste and texture.
- Grease Pans: It is a great and healthy way to grease the pans.
- Sweetener: It has a slightly sweet taste, so you can use it to replace sugar.
- Salad Dressing: It improves the absorption of the nutrients and the taste of the salads.
- Prevent Freezer Burn: Add a thin layer of coconut oil in the freezer to prevent the formation of layers and freezer burn.
- Popcorn Topping: Add coconut oil to the popcorn, and drizzle it along with some salt.
- Clean the dishes: use some coconut oil to the dishes to lubricate the stubborn food stains and clean them easily.
- Preserve Eggs: Coat the eggshells with coconut oil to preserve their quality and make them last longer.
- Creamer in Coffee or Tea: To revolutionize the experience, blend 2 cups of hot coffee, and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Blend the mixture and enjoy!
- Mayonnaise: Mix 2/3 cup coconut oil, 2/3 cup olive oil, a teaspoon of mustard, a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and four egg yolks to prepare a healthier, homemade mayonnaise.
Health and Home Remedies
Coconut oil has powerful antibacterial and antioxidant qualities which effectively treat and prevent various ailments. For consumption, you food grade coconut oil, and for topical use, use fractionated coconut oil as it has a high concentration of capric and caprylic acids, which provide its potent antioxidant and disinfectant properties.
- Boost Energy: The saturated fats known as medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil are a rich energy source.
- Treat Athlete’s Foot: The strong antifungal properties of coconut oil relieve athlete’s foot. Mix it with tea tree oil and rub it on the feet.
- Improve Bone Health: This oil helps the absorption of vitamins and nutrients like calcium, which is essential for the bones.
- Treat Hemorrhoids: Apply coconut oil on the affected areas to treat the pain of hemorrhoids.
- Aromatherapy: You can use it as a carrier oil, along with essential oils and herbal extracts, and thus relax the body and mind.
- Boosts Immune System: You can boost the immune system and fight diseases and viruses if you add it into your diet.
- Curb The Appetite: Take a teaspoon of it before meals to help you control your portions.
- Fight Inflammation: It is rich in lauric acid and capric acid which treat inflammation.
- Helps Blood Circulation: Its use will help you boost blood circulation.
- Thyroid Supporter: Its has laxative properties that will help you soften stools and accelerate the metabolism.
- Help digestion: Take a few tablespoons of this amazing oil on a daily basis to treat digestive issues and help digestion.
- Fights Arthritis: The strong anti-inflammatory properties of this oil soothe arthritis pain.
- Treat Fungal and Yeast Infections: Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids which diffuse into cell membranes of various organisms and fight bacteria, fungi, yeast, viruses, and parasites. You should add 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil to the daily diet.
- Treat Toenail Fungus: Apply some coconut oil on the toenails several times daily to treat the fungus.
- Relief from Heartburn/Acid Reflux: Take 3 tablespoons of coconut oil daily to soothe the esophagus and treat heartburn.
- Bee Sting Soother: Soothe that sting, and relieve the pain and swelling, with a dab of coconut oil.
- Weight Loss: Replace other fats with it to support weight loss.
- Lower Cholesterol: Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid which boosts HDL (good cholesterol), and in turn lowers bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Cold Sores: Apply coconut oil it on the affected areas several times daily to stop the spread of sores and relieve them.
- Heal a Cough: Mix half a teaspoon of coconut oil with a teaspoon of honey, and add hot water to fill a quarter of a cup, and drink it to soothe a cough.
- Bug Bites: To soothe the irritation and itchiness, apply some coconut oil to the insect bites.
- Relieve Sunburn: Mix coconut oil and aloe Vera gel in equal amounts to cool the sunburns and soothe them.
- Sore Throat Relief: Dissolve a teaspoon of the oil in the mouth to soothe an itchy and sore throat.
- Stop Nose Bleeds: Rub some coconut oil in the nostrils to fight the cracking that causes the bleeds.
- Cuts and Wounds: it can be used as an effective and safe natural antibacterial and antifungal cream to heal small cuts and clean wounds.
- Insect Repellant: Bugs hate coconut oil, so to keep them at bay, slather some on.
- Relief from Eczema: Use coconut oil to soothe the itching due to eczema flare up.
- Relief from Poison Ivy: apply coconut oil to the affected areas to soothe the itching.
- Relief from a Toothache: Mix it with clove oil in 1:2 ratio and apply the mixture to the gums using a cotton swab.
- Toothpaste: Mix 6 tablespoons coconut oil and the same amount of baking soda with 25 drops of essential oil to prepare an amazing natural toothpaste.
- Fight Allergies: Dap a bit of coconut oil on the nostrils for a quick relief.
- Soothe Chicken Pox: Rub this miraculous oil on the affected areas to relieve the chicken pox in your children.
- Mouthwash: This technique is also known as oil pulling, and offers countless benefits for your oral health. Just take a bit of the oil and swish it through the mouth.
- Prevent Lice: Dip the comb into coconut oil and brush the hair of your child to remove lice and chase them away.
- Remove Ear Wax: Apply 2 drops of coconut oil to dissolve the wax buildup and remove it easily.
- Get Rid of Warts and Moles: Rub coconut oil onto warts and moles on a daily basis to eliminate moles and warts.
- Freshen Breath: the main culprit for bad breath are bacteria, and this oil will help you destroy them.
- Treat an Ear Infection: Apply the oil to the ear to treat the ear infection.
Pregnancy and Infant Care
During the pregnancy, and when the baby is born, this beneficial oil can be the mother’s best friend.
- Stop Diaper Rash: The antifungal properties of coconut oil soothe the rash and prevent additional irritations.
- Nipple Cream: To soothe the irritated nipples, just rub some coconut oil on them.
- Nursing Boost: To boost the ilk supply and nutrients, take 3-4 tablespoons of this oil daily.
- Prevent Morning Sickness: Take a teaspoon every morning to calm the stomach during pregnancy.
- Moisturize Baby’s Skin: Apply a dab of the oil to dry patches to protect and moisturize the sensitive baby skin.
- Rub on Perineum: Apply coconut oil on a daily basis in the months leading up to the due date to prevent, or at least lessen, tears to the perineum during birth.
This amazing oil can also be used in the household:
- Remove Rust: Apply some coconut oil on the rusty household items, leave it to act for a few hours, and then rinse with warm water.
- Coat Snow Shovels: When you are trying to clear the driveway, apply some coconut oil to the shovel to keep snow from sticking to it.
- Fix Squeaky Hinges: Lubricate the squeaky hinges with coconut oil to avoid the irritating sound they create.
- Furniture Polish: Rub a bit of it on the furniture to polish it.
- Plant Shine: Rub a bit of coconut oil on the leaves of the indoor plants to prevent dust buildup and make them shine.
- Get a Zipper Unstuck: Rub a bit of coconut oil on the stuck zipper and watch it glide!
- Gum Removal: Use coconut oil to eliminate the gums from your shoes, carpets, hair, etc.
- Lubricate Kitchen Appliances: To boost the function of the small kitchen appliances—blenders, can openers, mixers, and food processors, rub a thin layer of oil on their blades.
- Leather Shiner: Rub some oil on the pumps, boots, or purses to make them shine.
- Leather Cleaner: Clean your leather shoes and make them shine with the help of coconut oil.
- Remove a Ring: If you cannot remove the ring, apply some coconut oil on the hands and it will come off easily.
- Get Rid of Soap Scum: Use coconut oil to scrub the hard-to-remove buildup on the sink and shower.
This is simply amazing, isn’t it? And these are only some of the endless uses of this fantastic oil!
If you have learned the lesson, from now on, you will always keep coconut oil at home!